This has been the year of BIG food truck events. 10 trucks, 20 trucks, 45 trucks … so many options, so little time! Here’s a little primer on how to tackle the food, lines and the people without going home hungry.
- Before the event, take a look at the truck list. Is there anyone you absolutely HAVE to have? Put them at the top of your list and make a bee-line as soon as you get there.
- Be adventurous. This is the chance to try new trucks that you might not see on a regular basis and to try “one-day only specials”. Try something new!
- Early Admission. Some large events offer early admission options for a small fee. If you want to avoid some of the lines and (usually) get a little swag, this could be the option for you.
- Go early. As much as the trucks prep, big events often mean lots of people and big sell-outs. Even if you don’t want to spring for super-early admission, getting there closer to opening gives you a better chance of getting exactly what you want.
- Bring friends and create your own tasting menu. Truck kitchens are tiny and can only produce so much food at once, so lines can sometimes get quite long. Bring friends and split up, then gather back and share.
- Cash is king. And makes the line go faster. Head to the ATM before hitting the streets.
- Take a break. Hey, it’s a marathon, not a sprint! Take some time out to listen to the music and grab a beer.
- This is not the end. Almost all trucks not only do big events, but are also on the streets every week. If you miss your favorite or just plain can’t eat another bite, check their schedule for regular locations. They’ll love you for it!
Now – HAPPY EATING!